Thanks to Little Birdie Secrets for this phenomenal recipe!!!
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. cornstarch
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 1/3 c. sugar
2/3 c. light corn syrup
1/2 c. crushed peppermint candy canes (about 6)
1/8 tsp. salt
*Tip: to crush your candy canes, break them up in large pieces, then seal them in a Zip Loc bag. Put your bag on a sturdy cutting board and use a hammer to smash them into a powder. The finer the powder, the better.
1. Into a small bowl, sift together powdered sugar and cornstarch. Line a 9×13″ pan with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Sift 2 Tbsp. of the powdered sugar mixture into pan and tilt to coat all sides. Leave excess in pan.
3. Place 2/3 c. water in a large bowl and sprinkle with gelatin. Let soften 5 minutes.
4. In medium, heavy-bottom saucepan, heat sugar, corn syrup, candy cane, and salt over medium heat until completely dissolved (about 7 minutes).
5. Pour into bowl with gelatin mixture and beat on high speed with electric mixer until light and fluffy (10-15 minutes).
6. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Smooth top and dush with powdered sugar mixture. Let sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
7. Lift from pan with foil. With a small, wet cookie cutter, cut shapes and dip sides in sugar mixture. Cut up remaining marshmallows into small, irregular pieces (these are the ones I let my kids and husband eat!). Or, using a wet knife, cut into 6 large squares and dip sides into powdered sugar mixture. Then cut each of those squares into 9 pieces and dip in sugar mixture.
8. Store at room temp, loosely covered.
Put three in a cello bag, tie with a ribbon, and gift them along with a jar of hot chocolate mix. These are perfect with regular, dark chocolate, or chocolate mint hot cocoa. I love the way my star cookie cutter makes them just the right size to fill up my mug! But I find it hard to make them last long enough for more than one cup of cocoa. I can’t stop eating them straight out of the bowl!